Passionately Committed to Equal Justice

Legal Services of Greater Miami, INC.

Get Help


FAQ for Parents

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Frequently Asked Questions
For Parents
How can parents apply for childcare services if their child’s birth certificate is lost or destroyed?
There are several alternative documents that can be submitted for childcare services. 


For the School Readiness and VPK Programs:
  • An original or certified copy of the child’s baptism certificate or other religious record of the child’s birth, accompanied by an affidavit, that the child’s parent swore to or affirmed, stating that the certificate is true and correct.
  • An insurance policy on the child’s life that has been in force for at least two years.
  • A passport or certificate of the child’s arrival in the United States.
  • An immunization record that a public health officer or licensed practicing physician signed.
  • Florida SHOTS documentation.
  • A valid military dependent identification card.
  • Official court documents.
  • Protective services and Temporary Assistance to Need Families referrals, if the referral includes the child’s age.
  • Official vital statistics records.
  • Hospital records.
  • If none of the above supporting documentation is available, the parent may submit an affidavit and a signed certificate from a public health official or licensed practicing physician who has examined the child and believes that the age shown on the parent’s affidavit is true and correct.
What happens if parents can’t submit their School Readiness applications by the due date because of Hurricane Irma? 
During the state of emergency, school readiness applications received after the due date will still be processed and childcare services will not be disrupted.  Applications should be submitted to


What should parents do if their childcare program is unable to open after the storm?
Parents should call Child Care Resource and Referral at 305-646-7220  for assistance with finding an alternative childcare program.
What if a child is experiencing higher than normal anxiety or is fearful of attending school? 
Call the Early Learning Coalition Warmline for advice and referrals at 786-433-3095 .


Meet our Donors

Blue Diamond


Blue Diamond



Other Donors