Families and Children
EXAMPLES OF CASES WE HANDLE INCLUDE:
- Special education cases for public school students with disabilities
- Uncontested Relative custody (Monroe County only)
- Dissolution of marriage cases for people with children in their custody (Monroe County only)
- Permanent injunctions for domestic violence victims (Monroe County only)
Many children require legal advocacy to resolve problems associated with receipt of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits, Medicaid, and special education so that they can achieve their full developmental potential and have the opportunity to experience a successful and productive adulthood. The Children’s Advocacy Project ensures that children who are struggling in school receive the educational services and accommodations necessary to make academic progress, and that they obtain SSI disability benefits. The Project’s Special Education Initiative represents children and their parents before the Miami Dade County and Monroe County Public schools to:
- request formal evaluations of the child
- establish the child’s eligibility for Exceptional Student Education (ESE)
- create Individualized Education Plans with appropriate services and accommodations
- appeal School District decisions to deny ESE services and accommodations.
The Special Education Initiative also appeals inappropriate disciplinary actions such as suspensions and expulsions for children who have already been determined eligible for the ESE program.
This Project Initiative is funded in part by the Florida Bar Foundation.
Click Here for more information on Special Education The Project’s SSI and Medicaid Initiative represents disabled children in administrative law proceedings to obtain SSI disability benefits and Medicaid. Legal representation is critical because, with the assistance of an attorney, almost 90% of the benefit denials are reversed at the administrative hearing level, obtaining much needed income and Medicaid for disabled children.
This Project Initiative is funded in part by the Florida Bar Foundation and McDermott Will & Emery, LLP.
The Children’s Health Access Initiative represents the parents of Miami-Dade County’s poorest and sickest children to help them obtain the health care services and financial assistance their children need so that they can live at home with their families, lead healthy and productive lives, and achieve their highest level of functioning. The Children’s Health Access Initiative also advocates for systemic corrective action which benefits critically ill and disabled children throughout Florida.
This Project is funded in part by the Allegany Franciscan Ministries.